Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Andrew & America :)

7/3/09 Today is Andrew's birthday! I really wish I could be there to celebrate with him but I already told him I'll make it up to him when I get home. He received his birthday package yesterday, thanks to my mom who wrapped and sent it to him. Of course he didn't wait until today to open it but I guess that's understandable. I don't know that I would have been able to either lol I got him a webcam so we can use skype when we're away from each other. Even though calling his phone from my skype is relatively inexpensive, this way will make it free and sometimes we can video chat and see each other. I didn't just get it because of this trip. As many people know he is planning on joining the Marine next year and may be away for extend periods of time. (Hopefully not too often). I also made him a picture album with a lot of our pictures over the last year and half. Next to each picture I found a quote that related to what we were doing. It wasn't completely finished when I had to leave for this trip but I promised him that I will finish it when I get back. I also got him a new St. Florian pendant (patron Saint of firefighters) because his last one fell off his chain somewhere. He seemed to really like his gifts! I'm lucky that I will be back just before my birthday and that we will be able to spend it togetherbut I told him I'd share the spot light :) He is going to try and come down when the day I get home and stay through Monday since my birthday is that day. I'm really excited and I think he is too!
At work today I continued to work on the caregiver support group information. Lately, I have come across a number of resources from Africa which has been a big help. Previously I could only locate American studies and some of their information is not culturally applicable to the people here. Kate and I sent out adherence brochure to Mmapula, Lindsay & Bakani to get feedback so that we can focus on making the template in Microsoft publisher next week. I hope that we're able to complete this project before we leave. Today was also Stu's last day at Baylor so everyone took him out to lunch. We went to a place at Main Mall, I'm not sure of the name but it was in the upstairs part of a building and we set on a balcony that overlooked the street vendors. The food was pretty good but I couldn't eat everything they gave me! We decided to have a night in and play catch phrase & jenga. It was nice to relax a little bit and not have to worry about getting ready. I was feel very unmotivated! Almost everyone was crammed into one of our apartments and having a pretty good time!

7/4/09 Happy 4th of July! It's a real bummer to not be at home for this holiday as it is one of my favs! I love to watch fireworks and see everyone dressed in red, white & blue. Someone called the U.S. Embassy hear to see if they were doing anything to celebrate but they weren't which was a little disappointing. It's probably because Botswana is a relatively small country and there aren't enough American vistors to warrant a grandiose celebration. Hopefully they at least gave all their workers the day off! I decided to hand wash more of my clothes early in the afternoon and set out side while they dried for a while but it was pretty chilly so I had to go in. I've been reading "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult so I was able to make quite a bit of progress while I waited on my clothes. The book is incredibly interesting. I typically hate reading which is kind of weird since I was obsessed when I was little. I nearly always had a book in my hand but then I lost interest. This is the first book since The da Vinci Code that I'll complete. I probably have 100 pages left out 455. It's about a high school shooting and I really think that every high school freshman should have to read it to get a better look at how their actions can affect people. The other girls went to Main Mall and Riverwalk but I just didn't feel like walking their or spending money. We decided to go to Bull & Bush again and it would have been better for me had my stomach not hurt most of the time. I probably should have just stayed in with Kate! She hasn't been feeling well and thinks she might have the flu. I hope that she gets to feeling better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment