Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flight/Day 1

Kate, Clare, Mandy, Zach & I
Waiting at the ATL Airport


I’ve been on this plane for over 12 hours now but we just hit Africa! I took a picture of the coast line…we’re in the Northwest corner of Naimbia. We will actually cross over Botswana before landing in Johannesburg, South Africa perhaps we should just sky dive over Gaborone? If only we didn’t have so much luggage. I think I’ve slept for something like 4 hours. I did not take advantage of my sleeping pills because the movie selection on the plane was phenomenal and I was too excited to sleep until about 2am (our time) 8am Botswana time and then it just didn’t make much sense to sleep for 8 hours because I’d still be on my at home schedule. I think this will actually help me adjust a little easier to the time change because I’ll actually be tired when its night here.

So we landed in Johannesburg and then we spent about 2 hours waiting for people to find their luggage, which is still MIA. Thankfully it was smaller bags for most people and the really important stuff did make it but that’s probably not a great way to start the trip.

We checked into our hotel for the night. It’s pretty nice. We had a group dinner at one of the hotel restaurants, Montenegro Spur. So far the food is just like at home but we are in South Africa so we’ll see about tomorrow! It’s 11:30 here and I have to be up at 5:45am to make it to the airport so goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed you posted! Sounds like you're doing ok so far. I assume you were not one who lost any luggage? I hope everyone else finds theirs. I was reading a blog written by a lodge owner in Cape Town and he referred to the J'burg airport as "a den of thieves". Very comforting! Glad you are not flying out of there! Hopefully you'll get home with all your things!

    Anxious to hear what you think of Gaborone and the University of Botswana.

    ReplyDelete