Monday, June 29, 2009

Futbol: South Africa v. Spain

6 of the 14 of us that attended the game!
(Me, J.W., Lisa, Kate, Josh & Stu)

I had a pretty late night because I ended up chatting with Andrew for quite awhile when I got home. It was a good conversation and well worth adding to my sleep deprivation :) I'm really excited to see him when I get back. We've already started making some plans for things we want to do together and he's working extra hours the next couple weeks so that he can take a day or two off and we can spend a long weekend together which is a really nice thing for him to do! I can't wait!

I haven't done the coffee count in awhile..I'm trying hard to remember and I think it's around 28 for the end of week 2 lol

We left Gaborone at 9am, stopping by Riverwalk for snacks first as we headed to Rustenberg, South Africa. It was a 3 hour drive (only about 25 minutes to the SA border though). The roads here are not very well paved so it was a bit bumpy but nothing I haven't experienced before. The coolest part of the drive was when we saw two giraffe on the side of the road! I wish I had been able to get pictures but we were on the highway so by the time I got my camera out we were too far past. I'm sure I will see more when we go on the safari but it was pretty cool seeing them just hanging out in the wild so close to the road.

Our car was pretty full but it worked! We met Dr. Ryan at the McDonalds in Rustenberg then headed toward the stadium. We actually parked at the Olympia stadium and took a Kombi to the stadium where the game was held. It was an absolutely beautiful day so I
was thankful for that! Our seats were also pretty good. We were about 4 rows from the field. We're thinking that because we were on the side where the sun shines the whole time that that was how we scored cheap awesome seats. But whatever, I'm tired of the cold so the sun on me for a few hours was worth it. I'll squint, no problem! I'm not really that into soccer but there are a lot of sports that I find to be much more interesting at the games opposed to on tv and this was one of them. Because the game was hosted in SA and they were playing, there were a ton of people there and they were so enthusiastic! The only thing I didn't like were their noise makers. I found them to be obnoxious, especially the ones that sounds like a God awful child whining! Whoever invented that is on my shit list! We left about 5 minutes before it was officially over..SA had just score the first goal of the game and we assumed it was over. Once we were in the Kombi we heard they had scored again so then we really thought it was over but boy were we wrong. Apparently Spain tied it up and it went into overtime and Spain ended up winning. Kind of a bummer! Even more so once the U.S. ended up blowing their 2-0 lead to lose to Brazil. I think I'm a bad luck charm because every time I watch a championship game, the team I'm rooting for loses. Here are some pictures from the game:
















2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting time. Do you have to rent a car to do a trip like that or does the University of Botswana provide you with one?

    You've mentioned your drivers...who are they? Employees of the U of B? Students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the doctors from the clinic let us use his old station wagon so that was really nice of him. 2 of the other volunteers drove us. But for other things we do around UB we have a Kombi driver and then we take taxis

    ReplyDelete